Last evening, HFC volunteers were dispatched to a dwelling in Robbinsville Township. Engine 8281 arrived as the 4th due engine along with Chief 8266 and went to work. The crew split to protect the delta exposure while the Chief and engine officer had the RIT assignment. Crews operated for about 2 hours before returning to service.
Engine 8281 gets the knock on a well-off hot tub this evening in the township. The fire was held to the unit and handed off to the fire marshal for investigation. Millstone Tanker 3296 responded to provide a water supply.
A few volunteers tagged along with our career staff at their live burn training. These burns are done multiple times a year to keep our firefighters proficient and refined in our most basic skills.
HFC picks up after a busy day running two MVAs and an open burn. Volunteers spent the down time washing trucks and getting ready for spring.
Our volunteers, along with the career staff, built and trained on a new hose bed prop this week. Refining our most basics skills is critical to providing efficient and effective services to the community.
On the evening of March 15th Chief 8266, Engine 8276 and 8281, along with mutual aid companies responded to an appliance fire in the borough. First arriving units had a smoke condition and fire in the furnace. The fire was contained and extinguished without extension.
Members of HFC were dispatched at 17:36 hours for a report of an open burn on 539. 8266 arrived to find material burning on the property. 8293 and 8275 also arrived on scene to assist in putting out the fire. The NJ Forest Fire Service B-9 and RWJ EMS also responded.
Hope Fire Company members were dispatched at about 18:30 hours for a report of an open burn. 8281 arrived on scene with a pile of mulch and brush smoldering. Command then called for Tanker 32-1-95 and Brush 32-93 to the scene for assistance. Special thanks to the Millstone Township Fire Department and Allentown EMS for responding.
Station 82-1 responded to an over turned vehicle on Route 195.
Station 82-1 personnel trained in a multi-agency ice rescue drill held at Station 82-1 and the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area. Participating agencies were Monmouth County 82-1, 12-1, 26-1, 82-21, Ocean County 39, Mercer County 43, Middlesex County 48 , and UFT OEM.
Now that winter has arrived, please take the time to read these tips from the NFPA and US Fire Administration. Keep warm, but stay fire safe!
Put A Freeze on Winter Fires
Heating, holiday decorations, winter storms and candles all contribute to an increased risk of fire during the winter months. NFPA and the U.S. Fire Administration are teaming up to help reduce your risk to winter fires and other hazards, including carbon monoxide and electrical fires.
Heating is the second leading cause of U.S. home fires, deaths and injuries. December, January and February are the peak months for heating fires. Space heaters are the type of equipment most often involved in home heating equipment fires, figuring in two of every five fires (40%). More statistics on heating fires.
Dan Doofus learns some important safety lessons about home heating.
Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, propane, etc. do not burn. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of CO. Carbon monoxide incidents are more common during the winter months, and in residential properties. More statistics on carbon monoxide incidents.
Most of the U.S. is at risk for winter storms, which can cause dangerous and sometimes life-threatening conditions. Blinding wind-driven snow, extreme cold, icy road conditions, downed trees and power lines can all wreak havoc on our daily schedules. Home fires occur more in the winter than in any other season, and heating equipment is involved in one of every six reported home fires, and one in every five home fire deaths.
Portable generators are useful during power outages, however, many homeowners are unaware that the improper use of portable generators can be risky. The most common dangers associated with portable generators are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrical shock or electrocution, and fire hazards. According to a 2013 Consumer Product Safety Commission report, half of the generator-related deaths happened in the four coldest months of the year, November through February, and portable generators were involved in the majority of carbon monoxide deaths involving engine-driven tools.
December is the peak time of year for home candle fires; the top four days for home candle fires are New Year’s Day, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and Christmas Eve. Each year between 2009 and 2013, an average of 25 home candle fires were reported each day. More statistics on candle fires.
Electrical home fires are a leading cause of home fires in the U.S. Roughly half of all home electrical fires involved electrical distribution or lighting equipment, while nearly another half involved other known types of equipment like washer or dryer fans, and portable or stationary space heaters. More statistics on electrical fires.
Dan Doofus learns more about what you can do to keep your home safe from electrical fires.
Christmas tree disposal
Christmas trees are combustible items that become increasing flammable as they continue to dry out in your home. Nearly 40 percent of home fires that begin with Christmas trees occur in January. Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur they’re much more likely to be serious. More statistics on Christmas tree fires.
A live Christmas tree burn conducted by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) shows just how quickly a dried out Christmas tree fire burns, with flashover occurring in less than one minute, as compared to a well-watered tree, which burns at a much slower rate.
Station 82-1 was dispatched to a residential trailer fire.
Station 82-1 was dispatched for a leaf pile fire with fire starting to spread to garage.